Some weeks ago, I wrote an article about some of the challenges you face when you learn a new language. However, learning a new language brings also many rewards and a lot of personal satisfaction.
So, today I’d like to list some of the rewards you’ll get when you learn a new language.
1. The first reward you’ll get when learning a new language is that you can meet new people. It’s easier to meet new people and talk to them in their native language. It’s true that we have google translate and other apps that can help you communicate but sometimes they make mistakes and it’s much easier and definitely more satisfying to talk to someone using their native language.
2. Learning a new language helps you discover also a new culture. Not to mention that you can read the literature in the original language it was written, and view movies and tv series that are only available in a certain language.
3. Your travels will be much easier and more enjoyable when you speak the language of the country you’re visiting. Indeed, by talking to locals you can discover new places that are not packed with tourists, new typical restaurants, and even get suggestions to make the most of your holiday.
4. One big reward you get if you learn a new language is that you’ll get fewer chances of developing Alzheimer or dementia in the future.
5. Learning a new language makes you gain a deeper understanding of your own language. Indeed, during the language learning process you’re continuously comparing your native language with the one you’re learning to find similarities and differences.
6. Learning a new language can be a great advantage for your career. Indeed, the knowledge of a foreign language is a widely requested skill since businesses are more and more international. It also gives you the chance to work abroad, if you want to see new countries.
7. Finally, your best reward will be that feeling of satisfaction for being able to combine words and grammar to form correct and meaningful sentences, and understanding native speakers – make yourself a big standing ovation. This, of course, will also boost your confidence.
Learning a new language is definitely not going to be a short and easy journey but it can be fun, rewarding and it’s absolutely worth it.
What do you think? What are in your opinion the best rewards you get when you learn a new language?
Original image by nastya_gepp